Friday, September 26, 2008

Language Joy

We got off to a good start on Wednesday evening.
Classes start at 6pm until 7 15pm and then the second classes are from 7 30 until 8 45.

I hope everyone got parking passes from the security office. These passes entitle parking in visitor spaces only. One still cannot park in the reserved places. The security personnel are most dedicated to ticketing and putting a boot on any car in the wrong place. (Could they work on commission?)

BTW in Ireland a ‘boot’ of this nature is called a clamp, a boot is in fact the trunk of the car, not to mention bonnets and hoods………..This caused all sorts of vocabulary misunderstandings the night my own car was ‘booted’ in IONA . I had to go to security, I asked them (nicely) to remove the clamp from my car, I was met with a blank stare. I said “There is a clamp on my car….please take it off?” then I had to explain that it was a sort of lock on my wheel. “Oh the boot!” “No, no” I said, “the boot is fine I want the clamp taken off?” The blank stare was now confused. It went downhill from there.

Feicfidh mé sibh an tseachtain seo chugainn.

See you all next week

No comments: